Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cliff Jumping Made Easy

"When you stand at the edge of a cliff,
jump to fly, not to fall."~Unknown
Courtesy of http://www.sxc.hu/

I went to the edge of the cliff. I looked down to see how far the fall would take me. I looked at the magnificent scenery surrounding the cliff. I watched the sunrise on the horizon, wishing I could touch it. I prepared myself to jump, knowing I could fly…just not yet. I liked the feeling of the ground beneath my feet. I liked the breeze running through my hair. I wasn’t ready yet but then the whisper came, as it always does on the cliff. “Are you ready now?” it asked. It always asks, never tells. It forewarns, but does not threaten. It urges me to fly, as if I have a choice. It wants me to choose to fly, but will not make me.
The ground rumbled around the cliff last week and the winds are bringing change, as they always do. I have always wanted to be a writer. I remember wanting to write a submarine novel in high school. I started it but soon moved onto other things. I now stand at the crossroads I found last Thursday. Laid off again, for the second time in 18 months. I don’t believe in coincidences. I think all things happen for a reason. I may not understand the reason but I don’t need to. Spirit, God, the Divine, whatever name you use flows through each of us. Spirit finds us where we are, and not always in the ways we expect.

Spirit has found me standing on a cliff looking for the change I want in my life. Looking for the adventure my life’s designed to have. Spirit didn’t push me off the cliff but sure is making it uncomfortable to stay where I am. This blog is dedicated to my path of finding myself, and part of that includes jumping off a few cliffs to see if I can fly. I was born to give. I was born to write, to speak…to teach. Call it destiny, purpose, providence or any other word you choose, it doesn’t change it. We all have a purpose, mine is still being discovered. I suspect our lives are really about discovering who we are. It’s the journey, not the destination that matters most. But to find it, I must jump off the cliff.

I made choices about my health that hurt my body. I’ll be uploading pictures documenting the change I am choosing. I am choosing consciousness over unconsciousness. My journey is more about my profession or how I earn income for my family and myself. Its about living a full life, a balanced life. Claiming my body and honoring it is as much a part of my journey as any other part. This cliff is about admitting weakness, jumping off of it and accepting without owning the judgment that may come with it. Some of you will judge me for this, and that’s ok. I work out at the YMCA five to six times a week, and have been a regular since right after the New Year. I hit a milestone today that I wish to share. I am under 300 for the first time in a few years and I intend to never see it again…ever! Your thoughts and opinions, good or bad are welcome. Ill document the journey and share my celebration with you as I hit my milestones.  
Happy flying!

1 comment: